One Tough Ram. Testing, 1-2-3, Testing
- Pentland gets to try on his new leather blinder today. He has pretty much worn out (translate: trashed) the human fabric visor we "installed" on him over 2 weeks ago, although the way he has tipped the visor up to show his eyes and clear the path for seeing where to charge is jaunty indeed. "Nice to keep the sun out of my eyes, and the burgundy looks great with my golden brown color, but, why all the fuss?" he seems to ask. Why? WHY? Let me count the ways.
- One gate has been broken at least 3 times since Thanksgiving week--he obviously got his breeding done fast this year with the 3 ewes we gave him on November 15 and the one we gave him a week later when he was done with those. Fortunately he did not get in with the ewe lambs or the unbred ewes.
- The ewe lambs were flirting shamelessly with him through a different gate. Most of them are his own daughters. A big charge to break that gate would not be good. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- He was abusing his sons, charging them and being very domineering as the largest and oldest ram will do.
- We just bought a new fawn katmoget fine-fleeced, horned ram lamb from Mike and Kelly Bartels named "Pluto." Pluto is still a bit edgy about his new home, and the last thing he needs is an unbridled Pentland terrorizing him. Sooo, we'll fit and test the new leather visor from Premier for a day, and if it fits well, stays on, and moderates his hard charging, maybe we'll let Pluto out with the rams tomorrow after some introductions with all confined in the stall first. Wish Pluto luck. Pentland was whethered 3 weeks ago due to his destructive ways and the fact that we've bred him for 2 years and are done with him for breeding, but want to keep him for his lovely fine fleece. He is slowing down on the charging and gate-busting somewhat, but he still is not completely over his breeding season "style." (He's not aggressive with people, just barns, gates, and other male sheep.) I'll try to get a photo of him in the tattered burgundy visor before we take it off. All he would need would be a cigarette or a cigar stub hanging out the side of his mouth, but once I add the photo, just imagine it. One Tough Ram.